Birthdays: Celebrating Life Amid a Culture of Death

I recently celebrated another birthday. I know some believers do not agree with this practice, for various reasons. But this year, I was quite intentional to celebrate LIFE amid this culture of death I live in.

It seems to me, throughout the Scripture, if there is one word above all others that best characterizes the revealed nature of God, it is the word LIFE.

Think of it: Before Creation, there was such fellowship of life within the Godhead that it resulted in a controlled, orderly eruption of life known as Creation. God was so full of creative life that He had to give expression to it, the divine artist that He is. And so, as the Book of Genesis (or The Gospel According to Genesis, as I sometimes have begun to think of it) documents it, God gave utterance to His creative instinct and brought forth the glorious cosmos.

After Adam and Eve sinned, death entered the world. Now, I live in a culture that legalizes and legitimizes and glorifies and defends and enables death at every turn. So in honor of my Creator who kissed me with the breath of life, and in defiance of this culture that glorifies death, I will celebrate my birth and my life, and especially my new birth and my new life in Christ Jesus my Master and Lord.

Hallelujah for life! And for life in Christ!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Declaration of Dependence

What I Love the Most About Fasting: Feeling Closer to the Lord

Praying The Scriptures: Psalm 101: “I Will Walk With Integrity. [And So Shall You.]” A Declaration of the Triune God to the Church